How Long is Long Enough?

Inspired by the latest Dueling Analogs comic, I decided to create a calculator that estimates how many more games you could actually complete in your lifetime. Granted it could be taken as a little morbid, it does help you to plan for the future properly.

1. Emmanuel Abarca Jiménez
    Emmanuel Abarca Jiménez says:
    January 24, 2013 at 7:15 pm #

"you should still be able to finish 2262".
    I wonder how many of those will be Zelda/Metroid replays?

2. Neil Weakland
    Neil Weakland says:
    January 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm #

It's sure taking me a long time to finish Minecraft….

3. Sky Render
    Sky Render says:
    January 24, 2013 at 3:05 pm #

It estimates 5096 for me. That sounds about right. Of course, the actual number will probably be drastically lower thanks to Kerbal Space Program accounting for most of my gaming time these days…

4. thewood
    thewood says:
    January 24, 2013 at 3:28 pm #

I tried to average at about 40 hours per game, figured that was a decent compromise between all the 20 or less hour games I play and all the 100 or more games I play. Came in at 2366. I currently own 244 games on Steam and about 30 non-steam games I will still play. Plenty left.

5. Booka
    Booka says:
    January 24, 2013 at 7:53 pm #

Maybe you should add a Do you play any MMO games button that automatically drops you to zero games able to finish or knocked off a huge chunk of the amount of games you can finish.

6. Tetsamaru
    Tetsamaru says:
    January 24, 2013 at 8:36 pm #

Apparently I have enough time in my life to beat 10010 more games. And thats at 20 hours average per game.

• Phaelin
      Phaelin says:
      January 25, 2013 at 1:09 pm #

. . . Are you 5? Hell!

7. yue
    yue says:
    January 24, 2013 at 9:43 pm #

Considering pretty much every games, other than RPG, can be completed in under 10 hours (some in 3…), at 45 hours a week, that’s 13338 games for me if I ever live to 80, which I most likely won’t.

8. Pocket Lord Sephirjon
    Pocket Lord Sephirjon says:
    January 24, 2013 at 10:05 pm #

698880 games. ‘Nuff said.

9. Neewom
    Neewom says:
    January 25, 2013 at 8:55 am #

Maybe it’s the work computer or maybe it’s my standards but I can’t see my answer. I get MAYBE 8 hours a week for gaming. (Full time job, part time job, college, father of 2) And I pick really long games. (Mass Effect trilogy, Skyrim, Borderlands 2, etc.) So if someone can get it working, how long do I have with 6-8 hours a week and 80 hours a game?

• Triaxx2
      Triaxx2 says:
      January 25, 2013 at 9:14 am #

You didn’t give an age, but I used 28, and it says 270 games.

10. Zhen Pei Hong Albert
    Zhen Pei Hong Albert says:
    January 25, 2013 at 2:17 pm #

7583 games, OMG I'm doomed! There's still so many!

11. Jim Chambers
    Jim Chambers says:
    January 25, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

2444 is probably a bit high if we get a lot more Skyrim's or Borderlands'…

12. Juan Calzada
    Juan Calzada says:
    January 31, 2013 at 8:32 pm #

With an average lifespan expectancy of 80 years, you should still be able to finish 5581 games at a rate of about 2.3 per week…saying you manage your time properly. It works for me…

13. Nenna Olumba
    Nenna Olumba says:
    February 7, 2013 at 5:10 pm #

Though most games I invest in are Zelda-like in nature. OR flat out JRPGs.